Skip to main content

Celebrities, football, and a lot of "laboring"

Our area got some really great news last week.  There's a new music venue that has opened up downtown with the purpose of providing a great place for local and outside talent to perform.  We have a grand history in music, but currently no great place for that music to be heard.  Thanks to some great people, we now have that place.  Friday night they held a free concert of some up-and-coming talent, and M and I jumped on the chance for a *free* date night.  Actually, it turned out to be fairly expensive because after a long and hard day at work Friday, I drowned my sorrows in the sales racks at Belk.  It was all in the name of needing something cute to wear on our date.  I saved more that what I spent.  You'd be surprised how little comfort that provided to M.  Nonetheless, I looked great for our date.  There were a couple of opening acts, one was awesome, and the main show was wonderful.

I should mention that one of the people responsible for this new venue by way of a new record label started with some other amazing people, is John Paul White.  Uh-huh.  Of the Civil Wars.  So, you can imagine the heart palpitations that ensued when I turned around during the opening act and spotted him.  Boom.  Ten feet away.  Since he lives in the area, and it was his party, it really shouldn't have been a surprise.  Also, I don't want to start rumors, but I'm pretty sure we had a moment.  Let me clarify that to mean a moment where he saw me look at him and thought to himself, "We really should have screened these people at the door."  Truthfully, my only desired communication with him would have been to ask that he book his brother and amazingly-talented sister-in-law (Grace & Tony) for a concert, like A.S.A.P.

Since we're incredibly cool and hip people, we left the concert around 10:30.  We then went to the same place we first met on a Friday night almost nine years ago to the day.  Wal-Mart.  Actually, this time we went to the new Wal-Mart Market, but the reminiscing was the same.  We unloaded our groceries around midnight, and promptly conked out.

Saturday was spent the way the first Saturday of college football should be spent - working on our new house.  I'm trying to cope with this reality.  This is my life until Mid-October.  Floors are coming along, and most of my cabinets are built and ready to be painted!!!!!!!  We did manage to watch the Alabama game, although we started it about an hour late.  Thankfully, I was at least able to salvage some football watching during the evening to restore balance to the day.

Sunday was sort-of a blur, I know there was oversleeping, church, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Old Navy, dinner, bed.  I'm leaving out something, but that was two days ago - let's not stretch the brain too hard today.

Yesterday we got more flooring laid!  I had some incredibly awesome chicken stew, and then I laid on my bed while C & M did other things. I don't know, I wasn't watching.  The dust from the house had caused my sinus to drain and swell in such a way that I was basically in an awake-coma.  I am currently in the same status which I why I can think of no coherent way to wrap all this up.

I'll just go now.

Oh, I will share my recipes from Saturday.  I was really tired of junk food, so I made a roast and mashed potatoes with green beans.  The green beans were canned, so I'll just skip that one.

Roast Beef
2.5 lbs. chuck roast
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1 can low-sodium beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
1 envelope onion soup mix

Put it all in the crockpot and turn on low for eight hours.  Use a gravy separator (if you're cool enough to have one- I'm not) to separate the leftover juices in the crockpot.  Mix 2 tbls. of water and cornstarch together and whisk into the juices to make gravy.  Simple, but AMAZING.

Mashed red potatoes
3 lbs. red potatoes
1 stick of butter
4 oz. cream cheese
milk
salt
pepper

Dice potatoes (skins on or off-your choice), boil in water until smashable.  Drain, and return to same pot to evaporate remaining water (that's a Rachael Ray trick).  Cut up butter and add to potatoes.  Add cream cheese.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add milk until you reach desired consistency (I like mine thick).

You're welcome.  I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, they are a comin'

Shew wee.  That's all I can say about the last couple of weeks!  I know you all have missed me.  I too, have missed all three of you. Truthfully, I was going through a ferocious deadline at work which caused me to slack on my blogging and fit lifestyle. I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about how my pants fit when I put them on this morning.  I went to work out yesterday, but decided to delay my weigh-in until today.  Monday's are bad enough all on their own without that scale mocking me. I want to update you all on what's been going on, but first, a little housekeeping.  You'll notice the name of the blog has been shortened to "the Journey".  I still intend to write about my journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I also wanted to use this blog as a tool to exercise my creative and writing muscles, and so I don't want to be limited to one subject.  I want to write about all my journeys, whether it be life with a toddler, re-model

It should be fascinating...

That may have been a slight oversell.  Truthfully, I just afraid all five of you may find something better to do with your time if I don't churn out Pulitzer material over here in blogging land. Here's the problem.  Finding time to work out and run.  See, I spent the first few weeks of this journey dedicated to visiting Curves at least three times a week.  You know what happened?  I saw results?  Do you know what happened next? I started convincing myself that I could "skip" days.  Boo Katye.  Bad Katye.  The lbs. are not coming off at a pace that I would be pleased with.  Truthfully, they're barely coming off at all.  It may seriously take until Cohen goes to college for me to become healthy and fit. So help me, it will happen. I feel like the key missing ingredient is the walking/running.  Finding time to do that activity.  On a consistent basis.  The dieticians at Curves recommend 10,000 steps a day.  Seriously?  I sit behind a desk for a living.  I park at

the Panic ensues

I thought that my morning might have to be spent calling the people at Visa and telling them that I had lost my credit card.  This would have been devastating for me.  No credit card equals having to ask the man that controls the checkbook at our house for money.  This would contradict my normal policy of just buying something and having the 5-7 business days before it arrives to convince him of why I really needed those shoes.  They were ON SALE.  ON ZULILY.  THEY GO WITH EVERYTHING.  Too bad those particular shoes don't fit my feet very well and have barely been worn.  To those who would say it is despicable that I would sneak shop with my credit card, I say let me use my credit card to order you a case of Windex for that nice glass house you're living in.  Which, I could do, because Husband found my credit card in between the seats of the car.  But first, I'd have to find where he has since hidden said card. Let's start with the good news.  Since my last weigh-in (