Skip to main content

the List

My brother is on my list.  You know, my "it" list.  We all have these lists, and it's not through positive actions that you land on the "it" list.  I'll explain later why JT has been banished (pronounced bani-shed for dramatic Shakespearian effect), but first a couple of items of background.

Early on in my relationship with M, I aggravated him purposefully.  A lot.  He couldn't figure it out.  I wasn't mean to him, I just liked to pick at him.  The car ride home after he met my brother for the first time, he confessed that now he understood perfectly. My brother has a PhD in aggravation.  (Let me stop and say that I know the correct grammatical term is "irritate" not "aggravate".  You can only aggravate in a medical context, but since that's the common turn-of-phrase, we're going with it.)  I don't think I did that much aggravating on my own while I lived at home.  Apparently though, if JT wasn't around I was perfectly capable of filling in, and I had been doing so with M.  So, if you're around anyone in our family for any given period of time and are not the target of a little aggravation, we don't like you.  I know it's weird, your family has skeletons too.

Second piece of background.  My sweet Momma, under the direction of her brilliant husband, accepted some free dirt to be delivered to their home.  The dirt was dug-up around her office to make a sidewalk and seemed ideal for doing a little irrigation and drainage work at home.  So, 100 yards of dirt was dumped in various places around the house.  To make the dirt suitable for use it had to be broken apart, raked of grass, and sifted of rocks and other debris.  For two weeks, Big D and my Momma had been tackling this project alone during the week and coming to work on my new house on the weekends.  So, we traded them a Saturday so that five people could make significant headway on the dirt project.  This past Saturday myself, M, JT, Momma, and D spent the better part of six hours working on that dirt.  I didn't know what muscle group in my back it would take to wield a pick-axe, but when I woke up Sunday morning I had my answer.  I also got a tiny bit of insight into what my Daddy and his cousins would have experienced moving hay around in Daddy Young's barn with a pitchfork.  Admittedly, he probably wouldn't have stepped in the only hole in the yard crashing into the street, pitchfork and all.  He probably also wouldn't have scrapped the pitchfork across the top of his exposed foot leaving a gash.  You know, just call me Grace.  Most of my time was spent screening dirt.  Big D made a sifter out of some wood and wire screening that fit over the wheelbarrow.  He would shovel the dirt onto the screen, and I would use the back of a metal rake to sift it through.  It was a large-scale version of using a metal spoon to sift cake mix into a bowl.  After we filled the wheelbarrow, I'd push the dirt to its final location and D would spread it according to his master plan.  He would also tell me not to step in the giant ant bed, which I would almost immediately do, resulting in several large bites on my feet and ankles.  I am special.

(I will say, I was proud of myself for doing the work.  I sweated profusely, was brown from head to toe, and I never quit.  I hung in there with the men, and I did my fair share.  I'm happy to have been able to do so.)

As I was perfecting my dirt-sifting, concentrating with laser-like focus on the task at hand, minding my OWN business, here comes JT.  He casually asks what I'm doing, and although it was obvious, I answered, "screening dirt".  My concentration never waivered.  I had the eye of the tiger while performing my task.  It was really my own fault.  Twenty-seven years of on-the-job experience, and I never saw it coming.  I was so honed-in on my work that I let my defenses slip, and he exploited my carelessness.  Suddenly, I felt it.  On my neck.  It was a worm. I may have been filthy from head to toe, but KK doesn't play around when it comes to worms, crickets, frogs, or snakes.  People within a 5 mile radius probably thought I was being tortured into leaking national security information the screaming was so loud.  Anyone who happened to drive by either thought I had been possessed by the spirit of "I'm about to kick your tail", or would have guessed I was having a seizure.  My emotions went from zero to a thousand so quickly that I couldn't do anything but stand there and cry.  I called my Daddy and tattled on my big brother like I would have done when we were kids.  I don't know what I expected him to do, but I barely got any sympathy.  JT didn't even get in trouble.  At all.  Typical.  We can all be assured that I'll be in full training mode from now on.  Never again will I fall victim to my own inattention.  And as for JT, while he didn't get grounded, or lose his TV privileges, he did manage to win himself a semi-permanent spot on the "it" list.

-Katye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, they are a comin'

Shew wee.  That's all I can say about the last couple of weeks!  I know you all have missed me.  I too, have missed all three of you. Truthfully, I was going through a ferocious deadline at work which caused me to slack on my blogging and fit lifestyle. I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about how my pants fit when I put them on this morning.  I went to work out yesterday, but decided to delay my weigh-in until today.  Monday's are bad enough all on their own without that scale mocking me. I want to update you all on what's been going on, but first, a little housekeeping.  You'll notice the name of the blog has been shortened to "the Journey".  I still intend to write about my journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I also wanted to use this blog as a tool to exercise my creative and writing muscles, and so I don't want to be limited to one subject.  I want to write about all my journeys, whether it be life with a toddler, re-model

the Panic ensues

I thought that my morning might have to be spent calling the people at Visa and telling them that I had lost my credit card.  This would have been devastating for me.  No credit card equals having to ask the man that controls the checkbook at our house for money.  This would contradict my normal policy of just buying something and having the 5-7 business days before it arrives to convince him of why I really needed those shoes.  They were ON SALE.  ON ZULILY.  THEY GO WITH EVERYTHING.  Too bad those particular shoes don't fit my feet very well and have barely been worn.  To those who would say it is despicable that I would sneak shop with my credit card, I say let me use my credit card to order you a case of Windex for that nice glass house you're living in.  Which, I could do, because Husband found my credit card in between the seats of the car.  But first, I'd have to find where he has since hidden said card. Let's start with the good news.  Since my last weigh-in (

It should be fascinating...

That may have been a slight oversell.  Truthfully, I just afraid all five of you may find something better to do with your time if I don't churn out Pulitzer material over here in blogging land. Here's the problem.  Finding time to work out and run.  See, I spent the first few weeks of this journey dedicated to visiting Curves at least three times a week.  You know what happened?  I saw results?  Do you know what happened next? I started convincing myself that I could "skip" days.  Boo Katye.  Bad Katye.  The lbs. are not coming off at a pace that I would be pleased with.  Truthfully, they're barely coming off at all.  It may seriously take until Cohen goes to college for me to become healthy and fit. So help me, it will happen. I feel like the key missing ingredient is the walking/running.  Finding time to do that activity.  On a consistent basis.  The dieticians at Curves recommend 10,000 steps a day.  Seriously?  I sit behind a desk for a living.  I park at