Skip to main content

She gets it from me

My sweet niece recently had her second trip to the ER for an accident.  Luckily, no stitches were required.  Unluckily, she's not even two and all this excitement may both kill my brother, and keep me from getting any more nieces/nephews.  I will say that for not having give birth to the child, she does possess an alarming number of traits similar to me.  Her temper and delicate nature topping the list.

When you cook as much as I do, you're bound to turn out a dud every once in a while whether it be visually, or in taste.  Well, I think we can all agree that the popularity of Pinterest has caused the dud to success ratio to tip in the favor of the duds.  I really am a good cook, but I was almost brought to tears last night by a 2 lb. sack of red potatoes.  I bought the potatoes with the intention of cutting them up and roasting them the old-fashioned way.  On a whim I decided to try and re-create the boiled and then roasted potatoes I had seen on Pinterest a number of times.  You know, like these:

Well, I didn't really read the recipe because I had read it before.  Boil the potatoes, drain the potatoes, use a spoon to mash the potatoes, season the potatoes, roast the potatoes (anyone else now tired of the word "potatoes"?).  So, I preheated the oven and put the water on to boil.  Well, in trying to test the tenderness of the potatoes inside the pot of boiling water with the back of a wooden spoon, I managed to splash my hand, neck, and face with scalding water.  The pain in my hand was only intensified by the fact that earlier in the day I had knocked it into a door leaving about a 2 inch section down my index finger with the skin broken.  The word you're looking for is GRACE.  I decided those spuds (see, I'm tired of the word) needed to sit in that water a little longer and think about what they had done.  Well, apparently you really have to let them boil a LONG time.  Mine where still difficult to mash when I finally took them out of the water.  After squirting potatoes all over the counter, I finally pulled out the potato masher and gave up on presentation.  They actually were good, and I thought about taking a picture, but I couldn't bear the image.

So, I guess I should apologize to my brother.  I'm sorry that she got the gene. You know, the one that leaves you examining your body at 27 years old and realizing you have only 9 3/4 fingers, a crooked left index finger that grew back that way because NOONE BELIEVED IT WAS ACTUALLY BROKEN, and more bruises and scars than you can count.  Be glad you have good insurance.

Katye

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, they are a comin'

Shew wee.  That's all I can say about the last couple of weeks!  I know you all have missed me.  I too, have missed all three of you. Truthfully, I was going through a ferocious deadline at work which caused me to slack on my blogging and fit lifestyle. I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about how my pants fit when I put them on this morning.  I went to work out yesterday, but decided to delay my weigh-in until today.  Monday's are bad enough all on their own without that scale mocking me. I want to update you all on what's been going on, but first, a little housekeeping.  You'll notice the name of the blog has been shortened to "the Journey".  I still intend to write about my journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I also wanted to use this blog as a tool to exercise my creative and writing muscles, and so I don't want to be limited to one subject.  I want to write about all my journeys, whether it be life with a toddler, re-model

the Panic ensues

I thought that my morning might have to be spent calling the people at Visa and telling them that I had lost my credit card.  This would have been devastating for me.  No credit card equals having to ask the man that controls the checkbook at our house for money.  This would contradict my normal policy of just buying something and having the 5-7 business days before it arrives to convince him of why I really needed those shoes.  They were ON SALE.  ON ZULILY.  THEY GO WITH EVERYTHING.  Too bad those particular shoes don't fit my feet very well and have barely been worn.  To those who would say it is despicable that I would sneak shop with my credit card, I say let me use my credit card to order you a case of Windex for that nice glass house you're living in.  Which, I could do, because Husband found my credit card in between the seats of the car.  But first, I'd have to find where he has since hidden said card. Let's start with the good news.  Since my last weigh-in (

It should be fascinating...

That may have been a slight oversell.  Truthfully, I just afraid all five of you may find something better to do with your time if I don't churn out Pulitzer material over here in blogging land. Here's the problem.  Finding time to work out and run.  See, I spent the first few weeks of this journey dedicated to visiting Curves at least three times a week.  You know what happened?  I saw results?  Do you know what happened next? I started convincing myself that I could "skip" days.  Boo Katye.  Bad Katye.  The lbs. are not coming off at a pace that I would be pleased with.  Truthfully, they're barely coming off at all.  It may seriously take until Cohen goes to college for me to become healthy and fit. So help me, it will happen. I feel like the key missing ingredient is the walking/running.  Finding time to do that activity.  On a consistent basis.  The dieticians at Curves recommend 10,000 steps a day.  Seriously?  I sit behind a desk for a living.  I park at