Skip to main content

#screwthescale

Well, the time is nigh!  Pre-op appointment was yesterday afternoon, surgery is next Tuesday, the 17th!  I have spent the last month inundating myself with information, FB groups, blog posts, success stories, pins for recipes, protein powder subscriptions, etc.  I am ready.  The fears are lessened as I armor myself with support and information, and I know that with prayer and the right attitude and determination, I can become the person God has designed me to be.

As part of all the various support groups I have become part of, I have learned some new terminology.  Daily, actually multiple times daily, various persons within these groups will share parts of their journeys.  Almost always, these posts include their "stats".  Their HW/SW/CW/GW, being their high weight, surgery weight, current weight, and goal weight.  In that vein, I wanted to share MY stats, as a way to reinforce my beliefs and goals throughout the upcoming marathon journey.

HW:  My high weight was the point when I thought, "this is not who I am".  It was when I decided that while I love healthy food, love trying new recipes with quinoa and kale, that I still had a fundamental problem with certain foods and self-control.  It was the moment I allowed the truth to ring free for me:  my body and my genetics are unique, and losing weight is nearly impossible on my own.  That's a hard truth to be ok with, because other people diet and lose weight.  Other people cut out Cokes and drop 20lbs.  BUT I'M NOT OTHER PEOPLE.

SW:  I actually had to weigh in at my pre-op appointment yesterday, but I didn't focus too much on the scale.  My surgery weight was the moment my husband (the best ever) said, "I've watched you struggle with this for a dozen years, let's try the surgery."  Y'all.  We're paying for this out-of-pocket.  It ain't cheap, but with the support of my spouse, it's possible.  That is love and marriage right there.  My SW also happened when I decided for myself that I didn't have to answer to outsiders about my decision to seek out bariatric surgery.  There is no shame attached to this decision, it is without a doubt what is best for my health and longevity.

CW:  My current weight is that place where I'm still nervous about whether or not I'll be truly successful in the long-term.  There are nerves about recovery, eating correctly, getting the right vitamins, having clothes to wear, answering people's questions at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and holding my head high when people cast judgment on my decisions.  This is where support is crucial, because I'll stay at this weight the longest, really for the rest of my life.

GW:  This one is the easiest.  Really I could just slap a number up here and everyone would either think "That's it?  That's still a LOT." or "You don't need to be that thin!".  But I've never been one to seek out easy, so my goal weight is a little more complex.  My goal weight is learning how to do a cartwheel.  It's shopping anywhere other than the "plus-size" section.  It's teaching my kids about the balance of nutrition and exercise in order to honor God through honoring our bodies.  My GW is being comfortable with myself when I look in the mirror and knowing that God sees a Princess of the Kingdom of Heaven.  It's taking a fitness class and kicking butt.  It's living to be 100 and still walking on my own.  That is my goal weight.

I have spent my entire life breaking against the chain of having my worth defined by a number on the scale.  Why would I start valuing myself that way now?  I am not a number, I am Katye.  I am redeemed and loved beyond measure.  I am a mother, a wife, a daughter, sister, and friend.  My body does not define me, it only works with me to achieve my goals and God's plans.  So for those reasons, I say #screwthescale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, they are a comin'

Shew wee.  That's all I can say about the last couple of weeks!  I know you all have missed me.  I too, have missed all three of you. Truthfully, I was going through a ferocious deadline at work which caused me to slack on my blogging and fit lifestyle. I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about how my pants fit when I put them on this morning.  I went to work out yesterday, but decided to delay my weigh-in until today.  Monday's are bad enough all on their own without that scale mocking me. I want to update you all on what's been going on, but first, a little housekeeping.  You'll notice the name of the blog has been shortened to "the Journey".  I still intend to write about my journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I also wanted to use this blog as a tool to exercise my creative and writing muscles, and so I don't want to be limited to one subject.  I want to write about all my journeys, whether it be life with a toddler, re-model

It should be fascinating...

That may have been a slight oversell.  Truthfully, I just afraid all five of you may find something better to do with your time if I don't churn out Pulitzer material over here in blogging land. Here's the problem.  Finding time to work out and run.  See, I spent the first few weeks of this journey dedicated to visiting Curves at least three times a week.  You know what happened?  I saw results?  Do you know what happened next? I started convincing myself that I could "skip" days.  Boo Katye.  Bad Katye.  The lbs. are not coming off at a pace that I would be pleased with.  Truthfully, they're barely coming off at all.  It may seriously take until Cohen goes to college for me to become healthy and fit. So help me, it will happen. I feel like the key missing ingredient is the walking/running.  Finding time to do that activity.  On a consistent basis.  The dieticians at Curves recommend 10,000 steps a day.  Seriously?  I sit behind a desk for a living.  I park at

Creature Report!

Does anyone else watch the Disney Channel?  Specifically, Octonauts?  No, just us, ok.  Well, they're land animals who live in the sea, and they help out distressed ocean faring creatures during each episode.  After the happily ever after there's the "Creature Report", detailing the scientific, physical, social, and other characteristics of the creature they've just helped.  All that to say, I'm giving my weekly "Creature Report". At our current rate of a pound or so a week, it'll take almost two years to lose my desired 80 lbs.  Throw adding to the Coats brood in 2014 to the mix, and sometimes I wonder if I'll ever get there. Having the Curves Complete program Coach is extremely beneficial.  After yesterday's weigh-in she reminded me that this is a permanent weight loss, and it may take a little longer.  Fast plan diets are usually only successful in the short term with participants gaining most or all of their weight back at program&#