Skip to main content

BBQ Chicken w/coleslaw

Here's another one I have really enjoyed.

This girl loves BBQ.  No, really, you don't understand.  I ate BBQ is some form or fashion five or six times last week.  All within the confines of the diet.  Some was Bunyan's, some was Big Bob's, the rest, I made myself from this recipe.

Again, I don't follow recipes all the well.  I'll always share my revisions.  The below is for one serving.  Matt and I ate off of this 3 or 4 times each.

BBQ Chicken w/ Coleslaw and Broccoli
6oz chicken breast
3 tbsp(s) sauce - barbecue (if it's not Sweet Baby Ray's, it's not worth eating)
2.6 oz broccoli - fresh
1 oz cabbage - shredded
1/4 carrots - large
1 1/2 tbsp(s) mayo (fat free) (again, fat free = crap, I use Duke's because it's the only one w/o sugar)
1/2 tsp(s) vinegar - cider (in retrospect, white vinegar would have been better)
salt and pepper

Did you know they make pre-shredded cabbage with carrots just for coleslaw?  Ain't nobody got time for shredding cabbage.  Make the coleslaw ahead of time (at least 12 hours) so it can marinate.  I used one bag of the shredded coleslaw mix with cabbage, dashed in a couple of tbsp of vinegar (a little less), and again, white would have been better.  About 1/3 cup of mayo, little more, little less.  Lots of black pepper, lots.  A 1/2 tsp of seasoning salt.  I didn't have any green onions on hand, but they're great in this coleslaw.

Ok, the chicken.  Friend, if you don't have a crockpot, you need one.  I put my chicken (about 3 breast - again, big suckers), in the crockpot.  Added garlic powder, onion powder, and a couple of tbsp of cider vinegar.  Here the cider is better because that's what most BBQ is going to have.  When I say "added" garlic and onion powder, I mean I start at one end of the crockpot and sprinkled it back and forth to the other end, maybe a teaspoon.  I took a whole bottle of BBQ sauce and poured it on top.  Really, I poured out as much as I could, but a little vinegar in the bottle, shooked it up to get the rest off the sides of the bottle, and poured the rest in.  No wasted sauce.

I'd promise to get better about measuring, but it'd be a lie.
Turn the crockpot on low and walk away for eight hours.

Remove the chicken and shred with two forks, add a little of the juice from the crockpot to keep it moist.  You certainly could freeze some of this if you weren't crazy about eating the same thing over again multiple times in a week.  This recipe is good enough to make for a crowd, too.

Steamed broccoli is fine and all, but my way is better.  I didn't have fresh, I used 2 bags of frozen florets (we were eating on it a few times).  Turn the oven on 400, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), or spray, add garlic, pepper, salt, and onion powder (same "add" as before), and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes.  Fresh doesn't take as long and will char better.  Frozen you have to turn the broiler on a couple of minutes to finish off.  I didn't have a lemon on hand, but it you squeeze fresh lemon juice on top, it's AWESOME.

Put it all together and voila!  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes, they are a comin'

Shew wee.  That's all I can say about the last couple of weeks!  I know you all have missed me.  I too, have missed all three of you. Truthfully, I was going through a ferocious deadline at work which caused me to slack on my blogging and fit lifestyle. I'll be honest, I wasn't crazy about how my pants fit when I put them on this morning.  I went to work out yesterday, but decided to delay my weigh-in until today.  Monday's are bad enough all on their own without that scale mocking me. I want to update you all on what's been going on, but first, a little housekeeping.  You'll notice the name of the blog has been shortened to "the Journey".  I still intend to write about my journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, but I also wanted to use this blog as a tool to exercise my creative and writing muscles, and so I don't want to be limited to one subject.  I want to write about all my journeys, whether it be life with a toddler, re-model

It should be fascinating...

That may have been a slight oversell.  Truthfully, I just afraid all five of you may find something better to do with your time if I don't churn out Pulitzer material over here in blogging land. Here's the problem.  Finding time to work out and run.  See, I spent the first few weeks of this journey dedicated to visiting Curves at least three times a week.  You know what happened?  I saw results?  Do you know what happened next? I started convincing myself that I could "skip" days.  Boo Katye.  Bad Katye.  The lbs. are not coming off at a pace that I would be pleased with.  Truthfully, they're barely coming off at all.  It may seriously take until Cohen goes to college for me to become healthy and fit. So help me, it will happen. I feel like the key missing ingredient is the walking/running.  Finding time to do that activity.  On a consistent basis.  The dieticians at Curves recommend 10,000 steps a day.  Seriously?  I sit behind a desk for a living.  I park at

the Panic ensues

I thought that my morning might have to be spent calling the people at Visa and telling them that I had lost my credit card.  This would have been devastating for me.  No credit card equals having to ask the man that controls the checkbook at our house for money.  This would contradict my normal policy of just buying something and having the 5-7 business days before it arrives to convince him of why I really needed those shoes.  They were ON SALE.  ON ZULILY.  THEY GO WITH EVERYTHING.  Too bad those particular shoes don't fit my feet very well and have barely been worn.  To those who would say it is despicable that I would sneak shop with my credit card, I say let me use my credit card to order you a case of Windex for that nice glass house you're living in.  Which, I could do, because Husband found my credit card in between the seats of the car.  But first, I'd have to find where he has since hidden said card. Let's start with the good news.  Since my last weigh-in (